- 1 tbsp mature starter
- 200 g warm (78°F) water (100%)
- 100 g all purpose flour (50%)
- 100 g whole wheat flour (50%)
- 700 g water at 80°F with 50 g reserved (75%)
- 200 g leaven (20%)
- 900 g white flour (90%)
- 100 g whole wheat flour (10%)
- 20 g salt (2%)
- Mix mature starter, flour and water in the evening
- Cover, leave in a cool place (65°F) to ferment overnight.
- Next day should have grown by 20%, and you can tell its ready if it floats in water.
Start an hour before your leaven is complete.
- Reserve 50g of water from dough ingredients for later.
- Start with water in bowl, add leaven and stir to disperse.
- Add flour and mix by hand until no bits of dry flour remain.
- Rest 25-40 minutes
- Add salt and reserved 50g of water. Incorporate salt fully into dough
- Transfer to bulk fermentation container.
- Take the temperature, compare to 78°F (25°C), adjust water temperature accordingly next time.
- Set timer for 4 hours.
- Perform 3 sets of stretch and folds, every 30 min.
- By the end, dough should have risen 20-50%, and have a few bubbles on the top.
Divide & Preshape
- Flour work surface.
- Dump out dough.
- Divide into half with bench knife.
- Flour hands, and lightly turn and pull dough towards you to form a round circle.
- Let it rest uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Lightly flour surface and tops of the dough.
- Flip dough, so flour side is down.
- Stretch dough towards you, and fold it 2/3 up on itself. Stretch and fold over the sides, and finally the top to create an envelope.
- Flip or roll the dough, so the envelope seams are on the bottom.
- Using both hands, cup and pull the dough towards you to create rounds.
- Let rest for a few minutes.
Rest & Proof
- Place inside a basket with a towel lightly dusted with rice flour seam side up.
- Seal baskets inside reusable plastic bags.
- Rest for 20 minutes.
- Place in fridge to proof for 16 hours.
- Preheat oven at 500°F (260°C) with dutch oven inside for 1 hour.
- Place sheet of parchment paper and stiff surface on top of basket with dough, flip it to take the dough out.
- Score the loaf with a razor or scissors.
- Carefully open the oven, and using the parchment paper, transfer the dough into the dutch oven. Cover with lid to create a seal.
- Turn oven down to 475°F (246°C) and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, turn oven down to 450°F (232°C) and bake for additional 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove bread using parchment paper and cool on wire rack.
- Turn oven back up to 500°F (260°C) and repeat for second loaf.
Wait 1-2 hours to slice the bread.