A condensed version of Perfect Loaf’s baker’s banana bread.
- 240 g (2 cups) spelt, whole wheat, einkorn, all-purpose flour, or a mix
- 3 g (½ tsp) baking soda
- 3 g (½ tsp) sea salt
- 125 g (1 cup) chopped walnuts (and/or pecans)
- 126 g (½ cup or 1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 100 g (½ cup lightly packed) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125 g (¾ cup, stirred down) sourdough starter
- 42 g (2 tbsp) raw honey
- 3 super ripe medium mashed bananas (black and mushy)
- 28 g (2 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 g (1 tsp) vanilla
- zest of 1 lemon (optional)
Bake in a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
- Remove butter from fridge 30-40 min before starting so it can come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix a few handfuls chopped walnuts and pinches of sugar.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs to cream one at a time, scrape the sides of the bowl while mixing.
- Add in sourdough starter, honey, mashed bananas, and olive oil.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Add in the flour mixture slowly, scrape sides if necessary.
- Fold in walnuts and lemon zest.
- Pour batter into pan, smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle walnuts and sugar.
- Bake for 55-65 min.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack.