A condensed version of Perfect Loaf’s focaccia.
- 345 g (70%) all-purpose flour
- 148 g (30%) high protein bread flour, malted
- 10 g (2%) extra virgin olive oil
- 394 g (80%) water
- 9 g (1.9%) salt
- 94 g (19%) sourdough starter (100% hydration)
- toppings at your discretion
Mix (15 minutes)
- Add mature sourdough starter, flour, water (reserve 50g for mixing, later), and salt to a mixing bowl.
- Mix by hand until dough is cohesive mass in mixing bowl, then on the counter using sap/fold for 5 minutes.
- Put dough back in bowl and slowly add remaining water.
- Add olive oil, mix until oil is fully absorbed, 3-5 minutes.
Bulk Fermentation (4 hours)
- 2 hours in covered bowl, 4 sets of stretch and folds, 30 min apart.
- Transfer to heavily olive-oiled baking pan (9” x 13”). Cover. Every 30 minutes, gently stretch dough towards corners.
Proof (2 hours)
Proof covered dough at 76-78°F (24-25°C) for 2 hours. Can proof overnight in a airtight container in the fridge. Bring it to room temperature in the morning and resume.
Top & Bake
- Dimple dough all the way down with wet fingers.
- Drizzle 1-2 tbsps olive oil, add toppings, and sprinkle with herbs and salt.
- Bake at 450°F (232°C) for about 30 minutes (check color during last 5 mins).
- Let cool in the pan for a few mins, then transfer to cooling rack.